Friday, 22 March 2013

Pre-Exam 2013 Statistics

22 March 2013: the results are  in on   http://www.epo.org/learning-events/eqe/statistics.html

Some figures:
- Participants:  643 (99.7%)
- Passes:        641
- Fails:               2
- Average:         81 marks
- Median:          82 marks
No participant scored full marks.

Here's how the marks are distributed:

How does this compare to last year's result:
- Participants:  390
- Passes:        386 (98.7%)
- Fails:               5
- Average:         84 marks
- Median:          87 marks
Four participants made not error at all.

Some conclusions: quite a few more participants, marks are marginally down, but the extremely high pass rate is even higher. It looks like an exam you cannot fail.

Any comments?

6 comments:

  1. looks like about 260000 easy Euros for the EPO to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do not see the point in introducing this exam...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the point in introducing the pre-exam, if any, should become visible as an improved pass rate in the main exam, presumably paper D, among candidates who took the pre-exam as compared to first time sitters of paper D who did not take the pre-exam. One could hope that spreading the studying over a two year period would improve the outcome in the main exam. Remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the third poster. I just sat for the 2013 pre-exam and now feel as though I am in a very good starting point to continue my preparations for the main exam. I am grateful for having gone through the experience of preparing for and taking the pre-exam.

      Delete
    2. I agree as well. I sat the pre-exam in 2012 and this year I passed all four papers. I feel like I would have never passed the D paper without starting to study well in advance. And I know my limits: I am not able to start studying two years before an exam. This way I was forced too.
      My only doubt is that the pre-exam might not be difficult enough to actually force people to study: in 2012 we had no idea about the pre-exam level and some tutors were saying it was going to be just like the D paper. If I knew it was going to be so much easier than the D paper, I would not have studied so much. (OK, I hope I got the verbs right... if not, sorry: my native language is not English!)

      Delete
  4. The histogram appears to show the results from 2012.

    ReplyDelete